Reporting to: Halifax Learning Head Office
This position is responsible for the delivery of SpellRead; a highly structured program that improves the basic reading and comprehension and/or writing and spelling skills of students of all ages. The substitute instructor works with an individual or a group of students.
Principal Responsibilities and Accountability:
- Deliver SpellRead to a group of students.
- Prepare or obtain all materials and supplies that are required for each class.
- Manage relations between the students in the classroom, mediating and resolving any issues or difficulties and creating a cohesive learning environment in which every student participates and feels comfortable.
- Handle personal issues or behavior from students (which are a result of the stress of attempting to learn) in a discreet and professional manner so it does not negatively affect the student or the class.
- Instructors are required to speak with parents for a quick class recap.
This position does not have any direct supervisory responsibility.
Education and Training:
- Completion of an undergraduate degree would be an asset but is not required.
- BEd is preferred.
- Level I SpellRead Instructor Certificate will be offered. Dates to be determined.
Prior teaching and/or coaching experience are required.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Excellent and efficient reading, writing and spelling skills must be demonstrated.
- Excellent verbal communication skills and instructing ability.
- Excellent auditory processing and phonological skills - assessed prior to an interview.
- Ability to relate to persons of all ages and backgrounds in an equal manner.
Hours of work: Part time as needed.
Hours of Operation: Monday to Friday, 2-8:00 pm and Saturday, 9-5:00 pm.
Rate of pay: Upon successful completion of the Level I SpellRead Training and Professional Development Certification Course, the substitute instructor will be compensated for teaching hours at $15/hour.
Click here to apply today!