Let’s talk about affordability and value!
At Halifax Learning, we understand that our program is an investment however we know that the value of secure and efficient literacy skills is priceless! Our goal is to ensure reading efficiently, maximizing the imaginative potential of each brain and the economic impact of every individual!
At our centre, we celebrate the importance of “human capital.” The most important resource in our world is people and our children. Literacy and poor literacy levels are at the root of many issues. We know we can help change this however, it’s challenging for many families to access when we consider the cost of raising children in an inflationary environment.
We’ve created this document to help you better understand what the investment in SpellRead looks like short-term and long-term and some other ways to possibly help offset this cost.
What do our payment plans look like?
We offer payment plans designed to work within a family's budget. This could mean paying over an extended period of time if necessary. Click on the below image to view our payment plan program.
Most students are with us for 12-15 months of program delivery and an hourly rate between $57 and $63 per hour. In any circumstance, with 4 weeks' notice, a student can withdraw from the program at any time.
What is the value of this investment? This is a question we are often asked!
The goal of SpellRead is to ensure that all students’ literacy skills move to a point where they are at or even above grade level, and most importantly, to ensure these skills are sustainable.
- Poor literacy skills should never be a barrier to an individual reaching their potential.
- Your child will be working in an inclusive environment with other children of a similar age and skill set (based on our in-depth literacy assessment) with a highly qualified SpellRead instructor.
- All of our instructors have a post-secondary education and all come to us with excellent coaching, mentoring, and cheerleading skills! We train them in our methodology with continuous internal program support specialists who are supporting our instructors and your children - RESULTS MATTER!
- We are also available to meet with your child’s school and explain our program and explore any opportunities to provide more of a wraparound approach and incorporate homework support during their school day.
Would you like to hear what other parents are saying or review our results? We publish our student results quarterly and welcome all parent and student feedback. Click here to learn more.
What are our touchpoints as your child journeys through our program?
- Two-week mark - homework/calendar of events information is sent
- Two-month mark - you will receive a note from us with more detail on what you should be expecting to see from your child two months in, how time with us is impacting their self-confidence and school work
- Five-month mark - your child will have their interim assessment followed by a meeting time with our support team to review the results and programming in general
- Eight-month mark - you will receive a note from us with more detail on what you should be expecting to see from your child eight months in, how time with us is impacting their self-confidence and school work
- Completing the program - most students complete the program in about a year. At this point, you will be contacted about their exit -assessment, a time to review their progress, and a time to go over the maintenance package we will be sending home
Communication is very important!
- Parents have direct contact with our support team at any time.
- Consistent communication with your child's instructor.
- Upon request - we can facilitate a meeting with a child’s school and meet with a school team to discuss our programming and ways to provide some wrap-around instruction.
Is cost a barrier? It can be and we want to be able to help with this!
After the assessment, we’ll sit down and discuss our payment plan options with you and answer any questions. Our goal is to work with you so that your child can access the value of our program without it becoming a stressful monthly payment.
~The payment doesn't last forever but the results do! ~
Here are some helpful tips to explore as you consider affordability:
Extended Health Benefits
Do you have an EAP (employee assistance plan) through health coverage or through an employer? Be sure to ask:
- Is a doctor’s referral needed?
- How much coverage do I have and when is the renewal (most plans are based on a calendar year but this is not always true)?
- Are there any restrictions?
Tax Credits & Benefits
Your child and/or family may be eligible for the Disability Tax Credit and/or Child Disability Benefit. The CRA website or your accountant/financial advisor can help you determine your eligibility.
If you would like to know more about the disability tax credit, you can watch this webinar by Dyslexia Canada.
Another possible option is to claim your SpellRead tuition as a medical expense when you do your taxes. You can learn more here. To claim a medical expense, you will need a doctor’s referral to the program.
If you would like to discuss our program results or see if SpellRead is a good fit for your child, please reach out today!